Saturday, April 05, 2014

Justice isn't worth waiting for - it's worth fighting for.

The relatively new Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Justin Welby, said in a recent interview that we mustn't be TOO hasty to respect the rights and spirituality of our LGBT brothers and sisters, because when we do, we risk putting African Christians in danger. That's an interesting suggestion I admit I haven't thought about much before - indeed, sometimes the sacrifices required by our actions are not our own. It's important to consider all perspectives and walks of life, so this is a valid point I should reflect upon more.

But the ABC may also need to do some more reflecting himself on a different valid point, and that is that when we DON'T stand up for the rights and spirituality of our LGBT brothers and sisters, then THEY can be similarly abused - especially in Africa

I respect what the ABC saw in South Sudan. It's not an experience I have had. Had he coupled this discussion with condemnation of Uganda's new anti-gay law, I would be somewhat less uncomfortable. 

I am proud to be a member of an Anglican province, the Episcopal Church in the United States, that doesn't wait for justice or love. Reader, I don't know who you are, but I know that Jesus loves you. That means I do too. Every single one of us already has God's grace, so what else matters? Just the love and justice that flow from that truth.

3 comments:

Christian Paolino said...

Thank you Nathan, your response was more gracious and nuanced than mine, I flipped my lid when I listened to this interview and blogged accordingly.

I found you by searching for an Arlo Guthrie quote and will be subscribing as a follower.

pbrownphd said...

not worth waiting for OR fighting for, since I don't want to be fighting. How about "working for"?

Nathan Empsall said...

Different definitions of fighting, I suppose, but point well taken. :)