Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy is Dead

The man who gave us SCHIP, who erased immigration quotas, who defined liberalism, who stood up to Reagan. A real American hero. From CNN:

(CNN) -- Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died at Tuesday night in his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," a family statement said. "We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice."




My hands are trembling as I type. I have weeped over three political stories in my short life - 9/11, Obama's election, and tonight. And I should add, my health insurance is through COBRA - I wouldn't have paid for my annual physical and semi-annual dental checkup this summer, and I would be subject to preconditions, if not for Ted Kennedy.

Health care reform must pass, and let that be his legacy more than any family relation.

3 comments:

Brian R said...

My condolences. Our evening news led with this story. As a 65 year old I really feel an era has ended. I am glad he lived to see the inauguration of Obama.

derek said...

That’s a terrible thing for American…and the world; we all lost a great man and also a long legacy of family patriots and supporters to the American people and politics. We will miss you. Condolences to the family.

WR said...

It is difficult to imagine a world in which there is not this man willing and able to lead the charge for justice. New England and the country has lost a hero. We were so blessed to have lived in a time when he lived to show us how to champion the rights of others. RIP Senator.