Friday, June 12, 2009

The most important thing about my graduation

My dad's been sick pretty much my whole life. He first grew ill when I was nine months old, and has been on death's door several times since. As I type this, thanks to 2007's transplant he is fortunately in the best health of my life, doing better at 60 than he did at 40.

So why do I bring this up now?

When I was in high school, I would sometimes ask Dad if he thought he would make it to my college graduation. His answer was always the same: "Well... I'm pretty sure I'll be there for your high school graduation."

That was 2004. It is now 2009, and I am graduating from Dartmouth College the day after tomorrow. The single greatest thing about my life, a fact that gives me more joy and happy tears than anything else about the past 20 years, is that my parents - both of them - will be in Hanover in about 30 minutes. When I walk across the stage on Sunday to get my AB in Government and Native American Studies, Dad will be there to see and celebrate.

Here's a picture of he and me from December 2005, my freshman Christmas when he was ghastly thin and I had a full beard:

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Very nice, Nathan. Congratulations!

Dogwalkmusings said...

How wonderful for you both!

Cany said...

Wishing you the very best, Nathan, and your mom and dad as well. I know they must be very proud of you!

Congrats on the great graduation!