Monday, June 29, 2009

Minnick Votes Against Climate Change Bill

While I am so excited that the American Clean Energy and Security Act passed the House on Friday (while I was on a mountain with no Internet, desperate for news!), I am very disappointed in my Congressman, Idaho's Walk Minnick. Minnick, perhaps the most conservative Democrat in the House (just representing his constituents), voted against the bill. Here is an e-mail I sent his office to express my frustration. (Note: Previous posts have referred to Paul Hodes as my congressman, but this will be the last blog post I make from New Hampshire... having graduated, I'm flying back to Idaho tomorrow! But for the record, Hodes doesn't like warmer gulf waters or higher sea levels, so voted the right way. It's a shamw I won't get to vote for him for Senate.)

Dear Rep. Minnick,

I went to high school in Coeur d'Alene and recently graduated from college in New Hampshire with a degree in government and Native American studies. I am a former Senate intern and have worked for the Spokane (WA) Democrats, and will be moving back to Coeur d'Alene this week.

I am a Democrat with a special place in my heart for the Blue Dogs. I understood your vote against the president's stimulus bill and even agreed with your vote against his budget proposal (boo passing two trillion dollar deficits to my generation!), but your vote against the cap-and-trade bill is, for me, beyond the pale. Joe Biden always asks, what is a politician willing to lose over? What issues are more important to him than his career? In my opinion, preventing the harmful effects of rapid climate change is worth being a one-term congressman, and anyone who disagrees may be a good man but is probably not worth my vote. I will almost assuredly be voting in Coeur d'Alene again in 2010, and the ACES bill will be on my mind when I do. It hurts to be disappointed.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

"Voted the right way?" In my humble opinion no such thing exists, but that's an existential debate that doesn't belong in this blog entry.

I agree with everything else you said. From what little I understand/heard about the cap-and-trade bill; it seems to me, as a scientist, to be one of the few short term solutions to our rampant pollution and CO2 problem. Unfortunately, in the next two decades we'll need to take even more drastic measures if we hope to at least partially stabilize the global climate for the next half millennium.

Nathan Empsall said...

Time for mass transit!

Jordan said...

Monorail!

Nathan Empsall said...

Hells yeah!