Thursday, April 23, 2009

Louise Erdrich to Speak at Dartmouth's Commencement

I'll have more on this later, but I'm very pleased with this new announcement: Dartmouth has announced author Louise Erdrich as my commencement speaker. Erdrich, a finalist for this year's Pulitzer Prize in fiction (and I, btw, was the first person to put that fact into her Wikipedia page), is a noted Ojibwe novelist. Her sister, Heid, is a noted poet. Both are Dartmouth alums; Heid visited one of my classes last term, in which we read books from both. Good stuff.

As a Native American Studies major concerned with raising and changing the visibility of those issues, I am very pleased with this selection, and will likely have more to say about this later.

Six others will recieve honorary degrees at my commencement ceremony in June, including NBA star Bill Russell and General John Abizaid, US Army (ret).

No comments: