Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you!

Growing up in the northern most reaches of the Houston suburbs, I was always a Houston Astros fan. Still am - there is nothing more important in the wide world of sports to me than the Houston Astros. (That'll change once my kid is the starting quarterback for Texas A&M, I'm sure). Anyways, I often thought I was a fan of four teams, with the Astros presiding over a royal court of the Seattle Mariners, Atlanta Braves, and Boston Red Sox. After the Glavine-Maddux-Smoltz era ended in Atlanta and Seattle lost first A-Roid and then Sasaki and Martinez, I realized that in those two cases I was more a fan of the players than the teams. I still hope Seattle, as my quasi-home team in Idaho, does well, but I know now that at the end of the day, I've got my NL team and my AL team, nothing more. Houston is Houston, and Boston is baseball. Nom-ah and Pedro are long gone from Beantown, but the ghosts of Ted and Yaz hang around, and never will you find a city more dedicated to its team - not to mention the strong Irish influence.

The Astros are what matter most, but alas, they dropped yesterday's opener - a good effort from Roy Oswalt, but lousy batting and lousier baserunning. That's ok; my Red Sox will get their first attempt today, following yesterday's rainout. In their honor, here is a double-bonus Musical Monday on a Tuesday:



No comments: