Thursday, February 12, 2009

The difference between knowledge and belief

(I've changed the time stamp on this post to keep at the top of the blog for a bit more.)

I came across this quote from Bishop N.T. Wright in a book I'm currently reading, and it tickled me just right so I thought I would pass it along. Though +Wright is ostensibly outlining the difference between knowledge and belief, I think he also cuts right to the definition of faith itself and helps explain, at least in part, the difference in atheist and Christian worldviews.

But after the waiting, again and again, comes fresh “knowledge”; granted the way the English language works, one call not call it anything else. It is not just “belief.” It is natural to say “I believe it’s raining” when indoors with the curtains shut, but it would be odd to say it, except in irony, standing on a hillside in a downpour. For many Christians much of the time, knowing Jesus is more like the latter: being drenched in his love and the challenge of his call, not merely imagining we hear him like raindrops on a distant windowpane. (For many, of course, the latter is the norm; hinting, promising, inviting.)

"Drenched in his love and the challenge of his call." Beautiful description of the man we know and the relationship we have with Him, is it not?

1 comment:

Jordan said...

It is, even if a more simplistic view of faith, but then again you can get into too complicated an explanation of why faith works.