Saturday, January 10, 2009

St. Luke's, Coeur d'Alene buried in snow

I returned to Hanover, NH from Coeur d'Alene, ID last Sunday, getting out just before 40+ degree temperatures began to melt our record over-70 inches of snow. I'd never heard of an "urban flooding" warning before, but there it was. The snow melt may make ugly black slush piles and be bad news for drivers and low-laying homes, but it's good news for the deer. Last Saturday night, my younger brother told me he herded about 20 deer for over a mile with his truck because the plow berms were too high for them to jump over.

To remember our friend the dearly-departed snow, I'd like to reach back a few weeks and post these pictures of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Coeur d'Alene. They were taken by parish member and photographer extroadinare Robert Peterson shortly after Christmas. He's the one standing by the eight-foot plow berm in the last shot. Click for larger versions.





For more snow pictures, see my earlier posts on the storm.

6 comments:

James said...

Talk about a Christmas card image! Absolutely beautiful. And the snow pics aren't bad either. :) I'm making the first photo my wall paper for the week.

Nathan Empsall said...

I'll pass your comment along to Robert! He does know how to get the lighting.

It is a great church we've got going on up there. :)

Dogwalkmusings said...

Ah, back in NH! Well, the snow in Coeur d'Alene has yet to depart and in fact is coming down once again as I write! Enough!

Jordan said...

Well I don't know what NH weather is like at this moment, but right now I'm grateful for being 'trapped' in the high desert.

Cany said...

Beautiful photos!

And please, a thanks ((and hug))to your patient brother in his truck for herding the deer:)

BlackenedBoy said...

That looks awesome!