Monday, January 26, 2009

Musical Mondays: Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor, James Taylor

My goal at Wayward is to post at least once a day. Sometimes I post two and on rare ocassions even three times a day, and a little more often I don't post at all. My hope is that the one-post a day will be something substantive, but in life a blog with 70 unique viewers a day isn't all that high a priority, so sometimes I have to put things on the backburner for a day or two.

To help with that backburner, I am declaring the first weekday of each week "Musical Monday," in which, barring a major news story I am just dying to write about, all I will post is a YouTube music video. This will happen other days as well of course, but on Mondays it will be by design. Today, I give you Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer, and James Taylor playing Stephen Foster's "Hard Times Come Again No More." I've heard several covers of the song, and this one is my favorite.



Speaking of music videos, the idiots at Pearl Records claimed copyright infringement on my YouTube video of Garth Brooks at the Inaugural Lincoln Memorial concert. Never mind that this was a free public event carried live on HBO and NPR before 400,000 people gathered on the National Mall, that it was not arranged by Pearl Records, or that Pearl Records recieved no monetary proceeds from the event and certainly lost no money over my home video. If this was a Brooks concert or ripped from one of his CDs, I'd be a little more sympathetic. I once had a video from a George Strait concert taken down for copyright laws, and I respect that. BUT, this was not a Brooks concert in a private venue, he just happened to be there. No, the executives at Pearl Records are greedy jerks asserting I'm breaking a law when in fact I am not, but they know they can get away with it because they know the paperwork for me to file a protest with YouTube is too much of a headache for me to bother with. Pearl Records, my message to you is unprintable on a blog possibly read by potential employers.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Well I think as a potential employee you exercise commendable restraint Mr. Empsall.