Monday, December 22, 2008

Right on, Zak

My old friend Zak includes the following in a list of things he finds distasteful, over at Dartblog:

Statements like: “that Bio exam raped me” or “I got raped by my Gov’t paper.” To readers outside the Dartmouth campus it may certainly be shocking and unbelievable that students would say something like this. While I have only ever heard girls use this language, I would not be surprised if guys also, equally inappropriately, used the phrase. Especially over the past few terms I have been at school such casual use of ‘rape’ has become much more common. I certainly don’t think it does justice to the gravity of this terrible crime to toss the term about so glibly, comparing it to school a school paper or test, however difficult.

All too often people fail to understand the power of words, and so disrespect that power, and that's a cryin' shame.

1 comment:

Dogwalkmusings said...

"While I have only ever heard girls use this language,..."

I find this particularly disturbing. Let's hope it doesn't take experience to rid them from being so glib!