Thursday, September 04, 2008

Random news that caught my eye: Stewart exposes conservative hypocrisy, Klein on Palin coverage, and Newsweek says Cheney's target is still injured

From Tuesday night's Daily Show - Jon Stewart exposes the hypocrisy of right-wing bloviators Karl Rove, Bill O'Lielly, and Dick Morris (who actually has no wings, he just flounders around in the mud) regarding Sarah Palin's nomination.



Next, still on the Sarah Palin kick, Time Magazine's Joe Klein defends the media's right to scrutinize politicians. H/T Todd Beeton. Yes, I know, suggesting that the media should be more than an echo factory for right-wing talking points is a controversial position, but stay with me here:
There is a tendency in the media to kick ourselves, cringe and withdraw, when we are criticized. But I hope my colleagues stand strong in this case: it is important for the public to know that Palin raised taxes as governor, supported the Bridge to Nowhere before she opposed it, pursued pork-barrel projects as mayor, tried to ban books at the local library and thinks the war in Iraq is "a task from God." The attempts by the McCain campaign to bully us into not reporting such things are not only stupidly aggressive, but unprofessional in the extreme.

Next, Newsweek updates us on the dude Dick Cheney shot in the face a couple years back. Get this - HE STILL HAS SHOT IN HIS EYE.
Whittington still practices law in Austin. He says he's fully recovered, though pellets in his larynx changed his voice, and he still has birdshot in his chest, throat and eyes. Though Cheney's been "very kind" and calls him to check up, Whittington is no longer involved in Republican politics. "My biggest question," he tells NEWSWEEK, "is trying to figure out, 'Lord, why me?' "

And remember - it wasn't Cheney who apologized to Whittington, but Whittington to Cheney. Eep!

And finally, a fun jab at certain voters - many voters - from the Spokesman Review's Paul Turner:
Let's say you don't follow local politics all that closely. And you have a neighbor with a cluster of campaign signs in the yard. Well, let's further imagine that a couple of the signs endorse high-profile candidates you are eager to vote against. OK, then isn't it reasonable to assume that the lesser-known politicians represented in the phalanx of signs are also people you would not want to support?

...The only real alternative is to be well-informed. And survey after survey shows that, after four hours of TV and three hours of recreational Web surfing, many people say they don't have time for that.

4 comments:

Cany said...

Brilliant minds think alike:) I too posted the video this a.m.. Hehehe.

Now, take a field trip over to Padre Mickey's Dance Party and look at the "organizer" "governor" pic, then go to my space (wish I had seen that... would have used it!) and read on her horrible quote last night. Somewhere between Bush Sr., and the Shrub's speech writer, those thousand points of light just got put out.

Jordan said...

No comment.

Wait I just did, dernit!

Nathan Empsall said...

Cany, that is an amazing picture!! Wooow. I'll have to repost it at some point soon myself.

And you remind me yet again that I need to update my blogroll... post doing just that soon, I promisepromise!

Nathan Empsall said...

Blogroll updated, and post about the update set for next Friday! :)