Monday, September 29, 2008

On the House's anti-rescue vote

I met the Presiding Bishop on Saturday. I'll blog about that later this week, among other things. In the meantime, here's the letter I sent to my Congressman, Paul Hodes (D-NH), who voted against the financial rescue plan today. I also sent a modified version to my family's Congressman, Bill Sali (R-IDiot). Interesting side note - Hodes is the president of the Democratic freshmen class, and Sali president of the Republican freshmen.

Dear Congressman Hodes,

I am a voting constituent and supporter of yours, as well as a college student. Though I would not expect you to remember me, we have met on several occasions, including an hour-long interview I conducted with you during the 2006 campaign for a Dartmouth newspaper.

Congressman, you voted against the financial rescue plan today, and I want you to know something. If the Dow drops 1000 points tomorrow like it dropped 700 points today, or if there is no help available to the thousands of ordinary citizens with 401Ks, insurance plans, mortgages, and student loans held by these Wall Street companies, I will blame you.

I am well aware that $700 billion is a lot of money. I am a budget hawk, and opposed the earlier $250 billion stimulus because it was not paid for. I do not want your generation’s debt passed along to those my age and younger. But this month, it is different. The government stood a strong chance to recoup most of this money, and without the rescue plan, our nation’s entire economy could collapse and take down some of the foreign markets with it.

So I say it again. As a strong Democrat, I will blame you.

Respectfully,
Nathan Empsall

1 comment:

FranIAm said...

Brilliant letter in a terrible situation.