Friday, September 05, 2008

Kayaking the Potomac

I've lived just about my entire life amidst the lakes of North Idaho, rivers of east Texas, and New Hampshire banks of the Connecticut River, and yet my first time kayaking came during my short stint in Washington, DC. Go figure. But, it was a lot of fun, and courtesy of my friend Jenn, here are some pictures. The first three are of me and the fourth of Jenn's sister, which is included because it's a great shot of the Kennedy Center, Watergate Hotel, and Washington Monument. It was a pretty good spot to kayak - we rented the boats from a little dock in Georgetown; in one direction, we could see the city and its landmarks; in the other, no buildings, some islands, and so many trees that you could almost pretend you were back in East Texas rather than just minutes away from Reagan National Airport.





I enjoyed it. I'll have to do it again some time, in Idaho or New Hampshire. If I wasn't a student with a student's budget, moving around all the time, I'd even buy one. We can all dream.

3 comments:

Fred Schwartz said...

Nathan,
I was one of the first to be re-introduced to the Potomac after the river was declared "rehabilitated". At that time Budweiser was having a rafting race on the Potomac -- it was 1980 or 1981. We had a great time -- and came in second in the inner tube division.

Nathan Empsall said...

My, my. Budweiser and inner tubes WOULD make for a great time!

Aamer Trambu said...

Hey Nathan, thanks for this story, Im linking to it from my blog and linking to your picture too.

Thanks Nathan,