Thursday, May 08, 2008

Keeping Things in Perspective

So this week at work, I have researched issues including ethanol subsidies, global education, and the Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program, taught civics to eighth graders, caught the Bush Administration in an act of hypocrisy, and attended a climate change meeting with multiple Senators. (I’m just an intern, but I get exposed to some cool stuff.)

Yet for all the value of this work, I must say none of them qualify as the most fulfilling or enriching thing I have done this week.

No, that honor goes to taking my lunch outside into the park by Union Station and listening to Garrison Keillor Lake Wobegon podcasts and Alison Krauss music on my iPod. Listening to his small town values and her heart-melting voice amongst the flowers, shade trees, and squirrels in one of the few spots isolated from sirens and tour buses, I am almost able to pretend that I am sitting in New Hampshire’s White Mountains or alongside Idaho’s Lake Pend Oreille, out in God’s country. It’s very peaceful, and interrupts the Office Space grind of my copy machine hating day to remind me of what really matters. Taking lunch outside this week is the best decision I’ve made all spring.

No comments: