Saturday, March 01, 2008

Sermon on Faith and Politics

This past Thursday, I had the privilege of giving the sermon at the weekly Rollins Chapel ecumenical Christian worship service here on campus. The theme for the service this term has been "Faith and Citizenship," which is of course the intersection where I reside. My sermon addressed the WHY and HOW of Christianity and politics - why we are called to be involved with civics and how we can answer that call in an active Christian role without violating a separation of church and state. I more or less avoided the WHAT, as in, what issues we should choose to address, focusing on the more ecumenical HOW.

You can read my sermon online at the Dartmouth website. The chosen Scripture was Psalm 72: 1-4, 7 and Luke 1: 46, 52-53.

The sermon quotes Senator John Danforth, Jim Wallis, Barbara Ehrenreich, Father Henry Atkins, and Dartmouth Multi-Faith adviser Kurt Nelson.

No comments: