Sunday, January 27, 2008

Naming My Car

Why do I skip church? I *always* wind up regretting it, without fail. It may seem like a good idea on Saturday night, but it never actually winds up that way.

Anyways, I bought a car a few months ago. A red '96 Subaru Legacy Outback. I share this with you because today, I named it Henry Paulson. Henry "Hank" Paulson is, of course, the United States Secretary of the Treasury. I can't say I'm a fan of his; he may be more pragmatic than most of the Bushies, and he is a Dartmouth alum, but he's still a Bushie and he's very wrong about the need for an economic stimulus package (then again, who in DC isn't).

No, this christening came about on accident. I wanted to name my car Hank, but unfortunately, it just doesn't feel like a Hank. Mabe I'll name my guitar Hank, if I ever start playing it regularly. Yet as much as I may want to name an inanimate object Hank, my car feels more like a Paul - but I don't want to name it Paul. Even though that was my own name for the first three days of my life, I can't say I've ever cared much for it. For several days I resisted the natural call to name my car Paul, until it occured to me that Hank and Paul go together in the persona of Henry Paulson. To my disgust, I felt as if I had no choice. (Don't get me wrong, Mr. Paulson doesn't disgust me, just the concept of naming my car after him.) So there you go.

Also, I believe every person should join AAA. It's pretty awesome, and all it takes is one tow in four years for it to pay itself off. My three flat tires are the second time I've used AAA in the past year; the first time was when a friend and I ran out of gas and used her membership. A member for two weeks and I've already gotten my money's worth!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I think Henry Paulson is a suitable name for so nondescript a car. The very name "Henry" is the epitome of dependable, unexciting run-of-the-mill-ness. Hank would be a good name for your guitar, if you're playing shit-kicking country--your ubiquitous ten-gallon hat would suggest this is the case. It would also do for an actual "rig"--like a 1984 Nissan 4x4 with rusted wheel wells, a roll bar, and those stupid driving lights up top (in other words, a redneck drinkin' and drivin' truck--"Hey boys, let's take Hank out muddin'!") A fine choice of name, as I said before.

Nathan Empsall said...

Hmm... Googled Nathan Empsall... is in Post Falls after a long weekend... using big words like "ubiquitous"... gee, I wonder who you could be?

Anonymous said...

Hint: I know you have received (earned) at least one 'B' in your life.

Nathan Empsall said...

Wha?

Well there goes my original hypothesis! Not Josi, then - Mrs. C?

Anonymous said...

Looks like Al Gore is being inconveniently unmasked for his dabblings in pseudo-science. Hope you haven't converted your Subaru to silly fuel yet.