Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Name Change, Upcoming Wayward Features

I made a slight change in this blog's subname today - from "Nathan in New Orleans" to "Nathan on New Orleans." Seeing as my long-term disaster relief internship is long over and my Spring Break trip is no longer looming, it's more accurate now to say "on" than "in." Some Katrina advocates might view my location as a drawback, but it has its advantages. For one thing, New Hampshire puts me in a unique position to grill presidential candidates about Katrina issues. It also makes me an independent advocate for the Gulf Coast, someone who can show the issue is important for reasons beyond personal bias.

Unfortunately, this blog has shifted away from regular news updates over the last couple months. This has been accidental and regrettable; life has been very busy and this blog has had to take a backseat. I haven't had time for much more than analyzing politicians and highlighting Dartmouth activism. Fortunately, this should change soon. Finals are about a week away, and then I get a two week break, with summer promising to be less hectic. Here's a look at things to come:

In the next couple days, I'm going to overhaul my link lists. I've come across many more Katrina recovery and New Orleans blogs recently, and I want to feature them here. I will make a post highlighting the additions. Following that, over the course of the next month I will give further analysis of several presidential candidates, and will post about the upcoming Louisiana Governor's race, post-Katrina crime, NOLA education woes, recent Gulf Coast headlines, environmental/wetland problems, and the lack of attention in the national news and conscience. Once all that is out of the way, I might begin monitoring NOLA resident blogs and quoting the best posts as they come - sort of a blog clip service.

There will come a time, I think, when I drop "Nathan on New Orleans" completely from this blog's name. As my ties to the region dwindle and as the NH primary comes to a close, so will my ability to be an effective advocate. I'll certainly keep the blog going, introducing non-Katrina political issues and cultural and religious thoughts. Hurricane Katrina will certainly remain one of my main issues, it just won't be the singular focus. But that day is still several months away. For the forseeable future, I remain a hurricane blogger.

No comments: