Saturday, May 19, 2007

Grace

I have not blogged in over a week. I am a horrible person. I shall get something NOLA-related up in the next couple days. In the meantime, enjoy this grace related chuckle from Out of Nowhere:

Once while I was in seminary and much more of a biblical theologian than I've ever been since or ever will be again, my bank notified me that my personal loan had come due. Their reminder stated simply that "grace has expired, and the law has taken effect."

With an inspired Gotcha! I wrote them that they had their theology all confused, that with grace and law, the Bible says it is the other way around. They promptly wrote back and agreed, but then reminded me that their Bible told them not that the law had expired but that grace had fulfilled it. Then they went on to exegete that what James really meant when he wrote in his letter that "faith without works is dead," was that one should not let the grace grow under one's feet.

No comments: