Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Best Harmonica You'll Ever Hear

As cool a harmonica as NPR's John Burnett might play, I gotta say, this guy remains my favorite harmonica player. His name is Grandpa Elliot Smalls; he plays outside the French Quarter's Cafe du Monde on weekends (used to be every day, but he's getting older). He's often joined by a younger guy on guitar, named Stoney B. Smalls went to Lubbock, TX after the storm. This interview suggests he's got a sad soul, but he appreciates his fans and, as he made clear to me, is very proud of his harmonica skills. He's also a good singer. The final picture is a woman playing violin with Smalls the first time I saw him, last March. She was quite good - she would play and converse with bystanders at the same time!






I'm posting these because I realized the other day, reading the liner notes to Harry Connick Jr.'s new NOLA CD (a birthday girft from my parents - thanks, Mom!), that the most important thing about New Orleans is its zany culture(s), and I've made very few cultural posts. So here's one now. Photos courtesy Craig Parker of Hanover, NH

No comments: