Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's A Small World

I had some procedures yesterday, and a doctor's appointment today. I don't know as much as I'd like to, and there's no magic pill, but hopefully today is my last day sidelined from work. I wouldn't be surprised if I can't get out tomorrow, but I'm gonna try. Anyways, I thought I'd make a quick post about what a small world it is. There are several startling connections between this and other parts of my life:

1. Mary Beth is a friend of mine from St. Luke's in Idaho, and was my supervisor at the Diocesan office this summer. Holly is the volunteer coordinator here for the Office of Disaster Response. They know each other from way back when; Mary Beth worked at a seminary while Holly's husband was a student there.

2. I talked to Father Ben, the Diocesan chaplain, on the phone today. He was asking about my stress levels, and asked if my Dad's getting good pastoral care. When I mentioned Father Pat, he said, "Oh, I know Pat!" Turns out they're friends who go way back to some old committee of sorts.

3. While in DC - I think I mentioned this in my first blog - I met a Dartmouth alum involved with a non-profit working with a church here in town. He's actually in town tonight, though I missed seeing him. Anyways, he knows Holly and Katie, my direct supervisor, as well as all the names I've read about but not met.

4. I believe St. Andrew's, where I'm staying, is the closest Episcopal church to Tulane University, which is within walking distance. Fall term last year at Dartmouth, I had a few conversations with a displaced Tulane student at Dartmouth while his school was closed; he's Episcopalian. I'd love to know if he attended/attends St. Andrew's. I sent him an e-mail today.

I would mention Bishop Waggoner (Spokane) and Bishop Jenkins (Louisiana) are friends, but I suppose that's to be expected. Anyways, it is indeed a small world! It will be fascinating to see if anymore such connections turn up during the rest of my stay here.

Also, so you know, I'm planning to visit my best friend Jon and my birthmom in Texas next weekend, and hopefully some friends will come down from church in November. Throw in a visit with/to my birthdad somewhere in there, and there's lots to look forward to. Yes, Mom, I know, I just ended a sentence with a preposition. ;-)

1 comment:

u2andcomicbooks said...

Nathan! Sorry I haven't commented in a while...I promise, I'm still reading! I hope everything works out with all the visitors. It's definitely a relief to have people you know and love around you in a strange place!